ATT: ALL FASHION COLLEGES (based in KZN)
Please find a detailed brief for the Hollywoodbets Durban July Young Designer Award 2023 presented by Durban Fashion Fair and a copy of the event theme “OUT OF THIS WORLD” here.
This competition will draw entries from Durban, Pietermaritzburg and surrounding areas in KwaZulu-Natal only, showcasing the very best young, emerging talent. All entrants must be currently studying fashion. It is planned that the winner will be announced at Africa’s Greatest Horseracing Event, the Hollywoodbets Durban July, on Saturday, 1 July 2023.
INVITATION TO STUDENTS
Gold Circle invites students to submit work for the Hollywoodbets Durban July Young Designer Award 2023. It is essential that the Raceday Theme is followed and that your design reflects an understanding of the content of the theme. Inspiration for this theme is endless, literally. It is important that you understand that this is a fashion competition. Stay away from anything that is too theatrical or avant-garde and definitely nothing gimmicky, theatrical or carnival like. Your design should be all about your interpretation of the theme, exploring the fascinating subject of the endless universe, the darkest of black to the beautiful Northern lights, the colours of planets and stars. The theme allows you to consider colours, textures, patterns, fabrication and imagery. Do not be too literal. Think out of the box or rather “OUT OF THIS WORLD”!
Judges will be looking for garments and an overall look that is on trend and well executed, with an emphasis on being beautifully dressed for a day at the races. Fit, quality and finish are very important. All aspects of the look, the hat, accessories, shoes and overall grooming should be considered, as it is part of the judging criteria throughout the competition.
Please keep in mind that the design is for an upmarket raceday, not an evening event.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
Please pass all relevant information onto students who wish to enter.
REQUIREMENT OF STUDENTS
- Each student must design a raceday ensemble that is stylish, fashionable and encompasses the spirit of Africa’s Greatest Horseracing Event – the Hollywoodbets Durban July. The work must be innovative and forward thinking. Judges will be looking for a solid interpretation of the theme which combines creativity with a distinct fashion edge. This is an essential part of the judges’ brief.
JUDGING OF THE ENTRIES – TUESDAY 6 JUNE 2023
- All students must present their completed work to a panel of judges on Tuesday, 6 June at Hollywoodbets Greyville Racecourse, at a time and venue to be advised. Students must present work that is very definitely theme related and designed specifically for this event. Students must present an A3 mood board. Students may be asked to verbally present their interpretation and understanding of the theme during the judging process.
SELECTION OF SEMI-FINALISTS – TUESDAY 6 JUNE 2023
- 20 – 25 semi-finalists will be selected to go forward to the second stage (SELECTION OF THE FINALISTS) on WEDNESDAY 14 JUNE
- Please note that should you be selected as a semi-finalist, you and your model must be available for the second stage of the process (SELECTION OF THE FINALISTS) which will take place late-JUNE. Final details will be given to you on 6 June immediately after the selection of the semi-finalists.
- These Student semi-finalists will have to use their own models, at their own cost, for all functions pertaining to the Young Designer Award, except for the final show, the photo shoot and on raceday for the ten finalists, where professional models will be allocated solely at the discretion of the producer. Time of raceday appearance to be confirmed. Models provided by students do not have to be professional and students will not be penalized in any way for not using professional models.
- For the semi-final judging, models must arrive dressed in their outfits, if possible, as there is limited changing space available.
- Students and their models will be required to appear in front of a selected panel of judges and must be prepared to be photographed and interviewed for possible television and media purposes, at no cost to Gold Circle or the sponsors.
- Make sure that you and your model look fantastic.
- Ten finalists will be selected and will participate in the Young Designer Award. Details of the final event including show fitting, shoot and GATEWAY PREVIEW SHOW, will be confirmed in due course.
- The panel of judges will carefully select the finalists using the students’ knowledge of fashion, the brief and the theme. Their decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into under any circumstances. Finalists must be aware of event sponsors and refer to the event by the correct name in any interview: The Hollywoodbets Durban July Young Designer Award presented by Durban Fashion Fair and the race name i.e. The Hollywoodbets Durban July.
- Students will be required to make themselves available for shoots for the press, television and electronic media leading up to the main event should it be necessary.
- By entering this competition, students give the organizers, owners and sponsors of the Hollywoodbets Durban July permission to use any image taken of their work pertaining to the event or themselves, before, during and after the event, in editorial, advertorial and social media content, free of charge. You will be required to sign a Consent and Release form in this regard. See attachment.
- Semi-finalists and finalists must be punctual for all call times and functions. Non-arrival will result in immediate disqualification. During the selection process and final judging, judges will be looking at a finished, complete outfit and will look closely at the following:
* Visual impact, design integrity, originality
* It is fashionable and in line with current trends
* Suitability to the event and theme
* Interpretation of the brief – this is very important and should be thoughtful
* Fit / finish / quality
* Attention to detail
- Students who are selected for the semi-finals may not change their garments in any way leading up to the semi-final event and the same applies for the finals if selected as a finalist.
- Students may only enter through their college.
- Students may not work in pairs or groups.
- The organizers and sponsors reserve the right to disqualify any entrant, semi-finalist or finalist, should they not strictly adhere to the rules and regulations of the event or speak disparagingly about the event, sponsors or organizers
- Please note that the Hollywoodbets Durban July Young Designer Award is only open to students studying clothing and fashion design in KZN.
- The organizers and sponsors reserve the right to make any changes that may be necessary and in the interest of the event and cannot be held responsible for any changes that sponsors decide upon. Any change will be communicated through your college and the official website only.
THE HOLLYWOODBETS DURBAN JULY YOUNG DESIGNER AWARD presented by DURBAN FASHION FAIR – FIRST PRIZE
- The winner will receive a “fashion” travel package to Johannesburg to experience SA Fashion Week for 2024, courtesy of Gold Circle and SA Fashion Week.
- From the Hollywood Foundation the winning student will receive R50 000 worth of bursary funding to go towards paying his/her student loan or for future study funding.
- R10 000 in cash compliments of Gold Circle and Schweppes.
- R5 000 Gift Card courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping.
THE HOLLYWOODBETS DURBAN JULY YOUNG DESIGNER AWARD presented by DURBAN FASHION FAIR – SECOND PRIZE
- From the Hollywood Foundation the student in second place will receive R30 000 worth of bursary funding to go towards paying his/her student loan or for future study funding.
- R3 000 in cash compliments of Gold Circle and Schweppes.
- R2 000 Gift Card courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping.
THE HOLLYWOODBETS DURBAN JULY YOUNG DESIGNER AWARD presented by DURBAN FASHION FAIR – THIRD PRIZE
- From the Hollywood Foundation the student in third place will receive R20 000 worth of bursary funding to go towards paying his/her student loan or for future study funding.
- R2 000 in cash compliments of Gold Circle and Schweppes.
- R1 000 Gift Card courtesy of Gateway Theatre of Shopping.
Each of the 10 finalists will receive R2 000 in cash, compliments of Gold Circle and Schweppes.
THE WINNING COLLEGE
The College attended by the Winning Student will receive a R30 000 grant from Gold Circle to be used to support the programmes and structures in place to develop the design students.
The Hollywood Foundation has advised that the following requirements for these bursaries to be granted:-
- Institutions where these students are applying from must be
- The bursary is paid to the institution and not the winners. Invoices will therefore be required from the institution as well as proof of accreditation.
- If the winner is from an unaccredited institution, then the source of funding can’t come from the Bursary programme.
Hollywood Foundation Bursary team will be involved in consultation with the institutions beforehand.
Information for this year’s event will be posted on the official website. Log onto www.hollywoodbetsdurbanjuly.co.za for any info regarding the entire event.
Please do not hesitate to email me on email@example.com with any questions.
Fashion Programme Director/Producer